Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Antigone Puppluepagus Passes Away

It is with Great sadness that I announce Antigone's passing. She died in June of Cancer. In November, she was diagnoised with malignant oral melanoma. The vet found it rather early, but he was unsure if removal would help as he didn't know how big the tumor really was. I, the Companion, did research on this cancer and found that there was no cure, only treatments. The treatments could extend her life a few months; unfortunately, extending is all the treatments would do. After watching her recover from teeth cleaning and removal, I decided to do palliative care instead. So, If she wanted to eat, I fed her. If she wanted to walk, we walked. I would pet her for as long as she wanted. Palliative care was rewarding, and she was in good spirits up until the last few da

She died on Friday morning between 4:30am--6am. I suspected that she ahd started the dying process that Tuesday, as she stopped eating that day. She had breakfast but nothing else, and no snacks. When I came home from work that night, Antigone got up and greeted me and went outside to releave herself. However, on Wednesday, I knew for sure she was in the dying process. however, she came to me to greet me, but she was having trouble standing. She still did not eat, and she was having trouble standing up. Once up she could still walk. She and I lay in the hallway for over an hour that night. She had her head on my arm, and I watched her breathing become labored. I talked to her, told her she had done great things, and she would still do great things once I found a publisher for her book. I told her that I loved her, and appreciated her being in my life. I also told her that it was ok, all she had to do was to relax and go to sleep and that was all. Her cancer tumor was bleeding and the blood ran down my arm. I didn't want to disturb her, so I didn't move it.

After an hour, she woke up and sat up and saw my arm. She began to clean it for me. She rarely cleaned me like this, so I allowed her. She then stood up and walked to my father's room to sleep. I let her.

The next morning she was in the same. I came home between classes to spend more time with her and make sure I was there when she passed. That night, I put her in the bed with me, and layed with her the same as the night before. I tried to stay awake but eventually, I fell asleep. Antigone was laying by my side, with her head on my arm, and my hand petting her stomach. After I fell asleep, she passed away.

Friends have told me that Antigone waited until I was asleep before she let go. I don't know if it is true, but it does make me feel good. She died next to me, I was there: she was not alone.

Thank all of you for reading her blog, and following our adventures. Her book is finished: I just need an agent or a publisher.

Antigone Puppleupagus was an adventurer, advocate for basset rescues and suicide provention, author, and companion, but mostly she was a life saver.


  1. I wish I had found this blog before today. Your post was deeply moving, I'm so sorry for your loss. Antigone has now become an angel watching over you from heaven, she will always be with you. I hope time heals your broken heart.

  2. I read your blog religiously on your voyage and cheered you both along. I would check in every now and then after your travles ended, but have not looked in since my beloved basset passed in January 2013. Companion, you served Antigone well! Peace.

  3. Dear Companion, you've done good work there. All who love pets mourn with you. Please consider building an email list of interest, of people who would like to buy your book when - When - it gets published. I will watch this blog for that, unless you recommend another. Never too late - an animal lover.